- What is the source of your money? How was it earned? How was it accumulated?
- What is your relationship to the person who earned the money? How would you characterize the nature of that relationship? (Close or distant? Loving or cold?)
- What messages about money did you get when you were growing up? Were there specific values communicated to you about money and its use?
- What feelings do you have about the money you possess today? For example, is there a sense of sacrifice associated with the money? If inherited, do you feel there is a “cold hand from the grave” controlling the money? Is the money in any way tainted? Is it an expression of love and caring from a parent, spouse or ancestor?
- What, from your perspective, is the purpose of your money?
- What values or priorities do you want to keep in mind as we co-create your wealth management and investment plans going forward?
- As your advisor, how can I be of greatest help in this regard?
Source: How Do Your Clients Really Feel About Money?